Saturday, August 21, 2010

Me Spectator

I keep thinking I have to convince myself that football is more than football. As if by itself it's not "meaningful" enough. After all, it's just people bashing against each other for territory and exercise, right?

But as soon as I write the sentence I see that sport stands for more than itself, like in the moment of instinct during play, the athlete's body memory/mind blend is off the charts. Now, that's meaningful.

Then I come back to myself, the spectator. Most of us. And what we get from it. It's got to be more than cheers for the home team and excuse for the couch time.

Did most of us play sports as kids, in school or elsewhere? I was on a losing team in high school basketball, but I loved the game & comraderie, and I never once questioned its deepr value, because I felt it.

No comments: